|Posted on May 9, 2018 at 1:05 PM|
At its April 19, 2018 meeting, the Board made a number of important decisions:
1. Major stucco wall repairs and landscape replacements in the “upper deck” level of both the front and rear entrances were commissioned. The exposed walls will be waterproofed (inside the upper level), and the aging cypress bushes will be removed and replaced with 15-gallon-sized xylosma bushes [Moon Valley Nursery’s website describes it as “…a very attractive shrub with bright green shiny leaves that will grow in part to full sun. Frequently planted as a hedge or screen, this hardy evergreen thrives in desert heat.”]. This is the same shrub that was selected by Desert Shores a few years ago for plant replacement in front of all screening walls along the community’s collector roadways. This entry beautification and rehabilitation work, totaling approximately $11,000, is to be paid from the association’s Reserve account.
2. Following an intensive workshop session and field trip earlier in the week, crack-filling and seal-coating of our streets was commissioned, awarding the competitive bid to Holbrook Asphalt for approximately $52,000 (also to be paid for from the Reserve account). Our neighborhood’s streets were last treated in 2015, and this superior, new-generation surface treatment product that the Board selected is expected to last at least 7 years before needing re-treatment again. (It has a 5-year guarantee, compared to the 1-year guarantee that accompanies traditional sealcoats. This work could begin as soon as late May, or it may be scheduled in the Fall. Full details on this work will be sent out in advance newsletters and fliers taped to garage doors.
3. The Board decided to shift to staggered 3-year terms. The terms of Glenn Grayson and Bill Pickard were set to three years and will expire in 2021, Farah & Jean were set at 2 yrs expiring in 2020, Greg Toussaint was appointed to the board so he will stand for re-election in 2019. Every Board member elected in the future will serve a 3-year term. This change returns the Board terms to that which is called for in the Association governing documents.
4. Recently appointed ARC member Debbie Thompson submitted her resignation citing planned lack of availability in the near future, and ‘pioneer’ owner Bonnie DiVento was appointed by the Board as the replacement 3rd member of the committee.
5. The next Board meeting was set for Thursday, May 24th at 6PM. Since the Desert Shores clubhouse will be undergoing renovation, this one meeting will be held in DSCA’s conference room.